Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dirty Minds: The Thinking About Soil Story

I moved to a new house last October (2010).  One of my major points I shopping for a house was how much direct sun was available for gardening.  I know that's ridiculous but its what I wanted.  I needed to convert a poorly maintained lawn into a vegetable garden.  This is what I did about a month ago.  The area described is the real estate designated for tomatoes, peppers, melons and squash.

I strongly suspect that my lawn was in very nutrient poor and acidic condition.  The lawn turf was all crab grass and annual bluegrass meaning that the previous owner just wanted it green for the sale of the house.  It couldn't grow anything not even weeds apparently.  The lawn is still bad, it needs some attention.  My soil is sandy loam that is kinda low in organic material.

1. I measured out the area I want to become my garden and put surveying flags in the ground at the corners, 30 ft x 40 ft, an area of 1200 sq ft.
2. I raked the remainder of the leaves into the plot; about 150 lbs I guess.  I mowed the leaves with the mulching mode engaged (it is like a normal push mower but no chute to shoot out the clippings).  I mowed them over 4 times until the leaves became a fine mist.
3.  I got some grain fed beef cattle manure that had been composting since last fall from my hometown; about 500 lbs.  UConn's extension center advises 30 lbs/100 sq ft of beef cattle manure for a moderate application.  I know that the soil is low in nutrients and I want to grow tomatoes and melons which are moderate-heavy feeders on fertilizer so I did about 40 lbs/100 sq ft.
4.  I spread 80 lbs of dolomitic fast acting limestone to the plot.  80 lbs per 1000 sq ft is the
5.  I added about 25 lbs of an 18-5-12 slow release inorganic fertilizer with micronutrients.  A heavy treatment of fertilizer is 4 lbs N per 1000 sq ft.  I did 3.75 lbs/1000 sq ft with this fertilizer. That does not include the N contribution from the manure I will return to that next blog.  I will teach you how to calculate N application rates next blog post also.
6.  I proceeded to rototilling.  I went over the plot 5 times turning over the top 5 inches transforming it from a dead lawn into a pillowy soft plot of beautifully enriched sandy loam ...mmmnnnrrrrrnnnmmm... I think I need a cold shower.  My garden is turning me on.
7.  I covered the plot with a large weed barrier.  It is a woven black plastic that has a decade lifespan or more.  My family has used black plastic sheeting my whole life with good success.  We always buy Film-Gard brand 20 ft x100 ft rolls 6 mil black.  The black color warms the soil which is crucial for a good crop of curcurbits.  The tomatoes and pepper love the heat too but with them it is more of an air temperature thing ... or so it seems.....hmmmm.  The black plastic also holds some moisture in but sheds of rain too so it is kind of a wash there.  But I love that it stops weeds.

My soil is ready as soon as the last frost date comes.  I've got to order my irrigation system.  I'll be sure to share the irrigation experience with you.  Next time more on fertilizers, organic and inorganic, pros and cons.

No comments:

Post a Comment